One Pot Sambar is an easy & quick recipe.
Well! Everyone is bored with washing too many utensils during this lockdown. Thus, I thought of bringing to you my favorite, one pot sambar recipe. It is easy to make and gets ready within less than 20 minutes.
Sambar is a South Indian soupy dish, made with lentils/daal, vegetables, tamarind/imli, herbs & spices. Sambar Powder is readily available in the market, or you can make yourself one.
Click here for an easy to make Sambar Powder Recipe.
Don’t have vegetables? Not a problem. Make a plain sambar with just dal, onions, and tomato.
This sambar can be enjoyed with Rice or Idli, Medu Wada, or any South Indian snack.
RECIPE OF ONE POT SAMBAR
- 1 Cup Soaked Toor Dal / Arhar Daal / Yellow Split Peas (Soaked For At Least ½ Hour)
- 1 Chopped Onion
- 1 ½ Finely Chopped/Pureed Tomato
- 2 Tbsp Tamarind Puree
- 5-6 Curry Leaves
- 3 Tbsp Sambar Powder
- Salt to Taste
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- ½ Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- In a pressure cooker, add 2 tbsp oil or as required. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida and saute till mustard seeds splutter.
- Now add chopped onions and saute till translucent. Add tomatoes and saute for another minute.
- Now add sambar powder, salt & saute for 30 secs to 1 minute. You just have to slightly roast it. Make sure the powder does not burn.
- Add toor dal and 3-4 cups water or as required.
- Close the lid & cook for 2-3 whistles.
- After 10 mins, open the cooker, add Tamarind Paste and mix well.
Your one pot sambar is ready to serve.
- You can use coconut oil for enhanced flavour.
- Shredded coconut can be added in the 6th step.
- You can add any vegetables you like after adding onions.
If you try this recipe, do send me a photo of it via Email or you can tag me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter.
To try more such recipes, click here.
Leave a Reply