Aam Pora Shorbot is a traditional recipe from the region of Bengal. It is a very refreshing summer drink made with smoked raw mangoes, jaggery, and spices. Aam Pora is sweet & tangy in taste.
This drink is very similar to Aam Panna prepared in Maharashtra & North India. It is very easy to prepare and can be stored for up to 2 months in the refrigerator. It helps in fighting extreme summer heat and prevents you from sunstrokes.
RECIPE FOR AAM PORA SHORBOT
- Two Medium-Sized Raw Mangoes
- 1 cup chopped or powder Jaggery
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 2 tbsp Black Salt
- 2 tsp Pepper Powder
- 10-15 Pudina Leaves
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp Ginger Powder (Optional)
- Prick holes using a fork on the raw mangoes. It helps in roasting the mangoes well.
- Rotate and Roast the raw mangoes on low flame till all sides are thoroughly blackened (grilled/charred). This process will soften the pulp. Remove from flame and keep it aside to cool.
- Once cooled, peel off the skin entirely.
- Wash the mango slightly so that the blackened skin is removed properly.
- Scarpe out the mango pulp using a knife.
- In a mixture jar, add the mango pulp, jaggery, sugar, black salt, pepper powder, mint leaves & ginger powder. Add water and blend to a smooth consistency.
- Strain the mixture, add lemon juice and stir well.
- Transfer it to an airtight jar or bottle.
- In a glass, add ice cubes, 2 tbsp shorbot and water.
- There are many different methods of making this. This is the method made by my Sister-in-law.
- You can adjust the sweetness as per your need.
- You can use either sugar or jaggery or make this by adding both.
- Store in an airtight jar and refrigerate. It can be stored for up to 2 months.