Biryani is a classic & everyone’s most favorite dish. And as a vegetarian, it is quite difficult to get a good biryani outside. So I thought of sharing my recipe of biryani.
This is flavorful, aromatic and a bowl of happiness. Biryani is a dish prepared with rice, vegetables & spices.
RECIPE OF SUBZ BIRYANI
- 1 cup Long Basmati Rice
- 1 Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)
- 2 Cloves (Lavang)
- 4 Peppercorns (Kali Mirchi)
- 2 Star Anise
- ½ Tsp Caraway Seeds (Shahi Jeera)
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- Salt to Taste
For Vegetable Marination:
- ½ Cup Curd
- 1 Tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 3 Tbsp Hyderabadi Biryani Masala
- Salt to Taste
- ½ Tsp Ginger Paste
- 1 Chopped Potato
- 1 Cup Cauliflower Florets
- ½ Cup Peas
- 10-15 Chopped French Beans
- 1 Chopped Carrot
Additional Ingredients for Cooking Vegetables:
- 2 Bay leaf
- 2 Cloves
- ½ Tsp caraway seeds
- 4 Peppercorns
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Fried Onions (3-4 Onions)
- ½ Cup Chopped Coriander & Mint Leaves
- 2 Tsp Kesar Milk (3-5 strands Kesar Soaked in Milk)
METHOD TO PREPARE SUBZ BIRYANI
Preparation of Rice:
- Wash the Rice thororughly & soak for 1 hour.
- Add all the whole spices, ghee and salt.
- Pressure Cook for 1 Whistle.
- In a bowl, add curd, chilli powder, coriander powder, biryani masala, salt, ginger paste. Mix Well.
- Add Chopped Vegetables, Mix well and keep it aside for ½ hour – 1 hour.
- In a Pan, heat oil/ghee, and add whole spices (bay leaf, clove, peppercorns, caraway seeds).
- Now add the marinated vegetables, 1 cup water, and mix well. Cook the vegetables till it is properly cooked.
- Turn off the flame and remove ½ of the cooked vegetables in a bowl.
- In the same pan, start layering this way – 1 Layer Vegetables, 1 Layer Rice, 1 Layer Vegetables, little Fried Onions, 1 Layer Rice.
- Garnish with Fried Onions, Coriander Leaves, Mint Leaves. Pour the saffron milk.
- Cover with a lid.
- Cook on low flame for 5 mins.
- And your biryani is ready to serve. Serve along with Papad, Raita/Curd or Salan.
- If you want to avoid biting whole spices, you can make a potli of whole spices and add to rice.
- If you do not have Shahi Jeera, you can use normal jeera.
- You can Dum the Biryani by covering the pan with Chapati Dough or Foil.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How to make Fried Onions?
- Slice the onions.
- In a Wok, heat oil.
- Fry the onions till golden brown. (Make sure it doesn’t turn black)