I was always fascinated by seeing the fish caviar, but since I am a vegetarian, I could never have that! The color, shape, and appearance of fish caviars attract my eyes.
I told myself, why can’t we make caviar which even vegetarians can consume? So that’s when I decided to make caviar using Agar Agar Powder and Orange Flavoring. There are many different ways of making caviar, but this is what I developed.
It is a very simple recipe. You can use it to top up your desserts, or make a bubble tea, add it in faloodas, or in any way you like. Also I am making a orange caviar, you can also make caviar using any flavoring.
RECIPE FOR ORANGE CAVIAR
- Chilled Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tsp Meron Agar Agar Powder
- ¼th cup of Sugar
- 1¼th tsp orange flavor
- Big Bowl of Chilled Water
- For this recipe, you need very chilled vegetable oil. So refrigerate oil for about 3-4 hours before you start.
- In a bowl, mix agar agar powder with little water and keep aside for 10 mins. This helps to give a smooth texture to your dessert.
- Now in a saucepan, boil water, add sugar and keep stirring till it melts.
- Add agar agar powder mixture to this and keep stirring occasionally. Boil for about 3-4 mins till you see that agar agar powder has dissolved completely.
- Allow to slightly cool.
- Pour the vegetable oil in a tall glass.
- Using a syringe, pump up the mixture, and put drops one-by-one in vegetable oil. The liquid mixture will turn into pearls.
- Use a strainer to remove the pearls and rinse with cold water 2-3 times till oil is completely removed.
- You may use immediately, or store them in a sealable container of water in the fridge.