Puddings are my favorite! Also Jelly! And how can I forget cheesecakes!!
So today when I was getting some cheesecake craving, I was thinking how do I have cheesecakes during lockdown? It is difficult to get cheese cream to make a cheesecake and getting it delivered from the store is impossible.
My favorite part in a cheesecake is the biscuit crumble. Which is yours? Comment down below.
Since I had biscuits, custard powder, and Meron Agar Agar Powder, I decided to make a triple-layered Jelly Pudding. The base of this is a biscuit crumble, the center is a vanilla pudding and the top layer is an orange jelly made with agar agar powder.
I also made some caviar to top up my dessert. Click here to read the caviar recipe.
What is Agar Agar?
Agar Agar is a 100% vegetarian substitute of Gelatin (manufactured from animal bones and skin). Its ability to produce clear colourless, odourless, and natural gels without the support of other colloids has long been exploited by the food industry as a stabilizing and gelling agent.
It can be used as:
- a coagulator; thickening agent, emulsifier and stabilizer in the manufacture of confectioneries like gums, caramels, marshmallows etc.
- to improve transparency and taste of the soft fruit juice candy
- in dairy products like yoghurts, ice-creams, mousses, chocolate milks, custard tarts, custards etc.
- used as a thickening agent in low calorie marmalades, jams, processed meat products, bakery fillings, icings, prepared soups, ice-creams, etc.
- as a gelation agent in doughnuts, low calorie marmalades, jams, jelly candy, fruit yogurts, acidified creams, cheese, puddings, custards, flans, fruit desserts, whipped fruit pulp, etc.
- Agar can also be used in spreadable products like honey, butter, peanut butter, jam products like honey butter, peanut butter, jam products (Substitution of pectin to decrease sugar level).
You can buy the Agar Agar Powder from Flipkart or Amazon.
RECIPE OF 3 LAYERED JELLY PUDDING
INGREDIENTS FOR BISCUIT BASE
- 7-8 Oatmeal & Honey Biscuits / Digestive Biscuits
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
INGREDIENTS FOR PUDDING
- 500 ml Milk
- ¼th cup of Sugar
- ½ cup Custard Powder
- 1 tbsp Cornflour
- 4 drops of Vanilla Essence
INGREDIENTS FOR JELLY
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tsp Meron Agar Agar Powder
- ¼th cup of Sugar
- 1 tsp orange flavor
METHOD FOR PREPARING THE BISCUIT BASE
- Crush the biscuits using mortar & pestle.
- Add 2 tbsp of warm melted butter and mix well.
- Now in the container you want to set the dessert, press the mixture and allow it to rest for 10 mins.
METHOD FOR PREPARING PUDDING
- In a saucepan, add 400 ml milk and allow it to boil for a minute on medium flame.
- Add sugar and keep stirring till it dissolves completely.
- In a bowl, add 100 ml milk and mix in custard powder and cornflour. Add this mixture to the saucepan, Mix well.
- Keep stirring till it starts thickening. Now add vanilla essence and mix well.
- Once the mixture has thickened, pour the mixture on the Biscuit base.
- Allow it to set in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
METHOD FOR PREPARING JELLY
- In a bowl, mix agar agar powder with little water and keep aside for 10 mins. This helps to give your dessert a smooth texture.
- Now in a saucepan, boil water, add sugar, and keep stirring till it melts.
- Add agar agar powder mixture to this and keep stirring occasionally. Boil for about 3-4 mins till you see that agar agar powder has dissolved completely.
- Take it off the flame, add orange essence, and mix well.
- Pour this over the pudding layer, cover it with a foil.
- Once the jelly comes to room temperature, refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
Your 3 Layered Jelly Pudding is ready. Serve chilled and enjoy!
If you try this recipe, do send me a photo of it via Email or you can tag me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter.
To try more such recipes, click here.
Leave a Reply