Chamomile tea is the most common type of herbal tea. Its popularity has been increasing in recent years due to its numerous health benefits. What is chamomile tea? How does it work? And can you use it as a natural remedy for certain conditions? Read on to find out more about this ancient and soothing beverage!
It may help fight diabetes.
Chamomile tea may help fight diabetes by lowering your blood sugar levels, according to a study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. The scientists behind the research found that chamomile extract reduced glucose production in mice, which can lead to lower blood sugar levels.
Additionally, studies suggest that drinking chamomile tea may have other health benefits as well, including lowering blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
It may help fight inflammation.
- It’s a natural anti-inflammatory.
- It’s rich in flavonoids.
- It’s rich in luteolin, one of the most powerful antioxidants around (more on that later).
- It’s rich in apigenin, which has been shown to help reduce inflammation and pain by inhibiting COX-2 and 5-LOX enzymes.
It may help with sleep issues.
Chamomile tea is a natural sleep aid that can help you sleep better. It may also help you to sleep longer and get better quality sleep during the night, which in turn helps you wake up feeling refreshed and energized for the rest of the day.
It may help during the menstrual period.
- Chamomile has been used historically as an anti-inflammatory, anti-anxiety agent, pain reliever (including menstrual cramps), and digestive aid—all of which could contribute to better sleep patterns naturally without drugs or stimulants.
- The active ingredient in chamomile is apigenin (also found in other plants like lettuce, apples, dandelion greens), which has been shown to improve moods while reducing stress levels due to its calming effect on nerves throughout your body.
It may help reduce the risk of heart disease.
- A study published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology showed that consuming two to three cups of this herbal tea daily, over a period of two weeks, helped reduce cholesterol levels and triglycerides (a type of fat found in the blood).
- It may prevent blood clots from forming in your arteries and veins. Chamomile tea can prevent platelet aggregation, which is when platelets clump together within your body’s circulatory system and form dangerous clots (more commonly known as atherosclerosis). These are associated with heart disease and strokes; therefore, preventing their formation has been linked to lowered risks for both conditions!
It may help prevent cancer.
You’ve probably seen chamomile tea in the grocery store, but did you know that it could help prevent cancer? The active ingredient in chamomile is an essential oil called apigenin, which has been found to be effective at preventing the growth of cancer cells. It’s believed that apigenin works by reducing inflammation and blocking enzymes that cause cell death (apoptosis).
As a result, researchers are now studying whether or not apigenin can be used as a natural treatment for several types of cancers including breast cancer, prostate cancer, colon cancer, and lung cancer.
If you want to get benefited from this tea, consider having 1-2 cups in a day.