Kesar Elaichi Sherbet/Milk holds a very special place in the heart of every Indian. It is a very refreshing and soothing beverage.
Kesar Elaichi Syrup is made with just a few ingredients. That is sugar, water, citric acid, agar agar, kesar and elaichi. Kesar or saffron is known to provide energy and boost immunity and on the other hand elaichi or cardamom is an antioxidant. These two ingredients together make this syrup a wonderful aid for keeing your body warm and resistant to infections.
You can mix this syrup with water, milk or add it to different desserts like Shrikhand, Yogurt, Icecream, Tarts, etc.
Some Frequently Asked Questions about this recipe:
- Why is citric acid added?
Citric acid is a natural preservative. It is added for the long shelf of the syrup and enhancing the flavor.
- Why is Agar Agar used? Which type of agar agar should be used in this recipe?
Agar Agar is a healthier and vegetarian substitute for gelatin. It is processed from seaweeds which is vegan, gluten-free, non-GMO, zero-calorie, no carbs, and is full of fiber. Spreadable Agar type Wondergel 50 should be used to make Syrups. Spreadable Agar is a unique functional ingredient obtained by transforming the rigid structure of native Agar Agar. It helps in providing a smoother texture to the syrup.
Meron Agar Agar is available on Amazon and Flipkart. You can know more about this on meron.com.
RECIPE FOR KESAR ELAICHI SYRUP
- 1kg White Sugar
- 600 ml water for syrup base
- 50 ml water for mixing agar agar
- 5 gms of citric acid/nimbu phool
- 25 strands of Kesar/saffron
- 10 high-quality elaichi / cardamom crushed
- ½ tsp of Meron Spreadable Agar Agar – Wondergel 50
- In a saucepan combine sugar and water. Bring to a boil on medium flame, stirring continuously, until sugar dissolves.
- Now add citric acid and stir. Bring this to a boil for about 2 minutes.
- Turn off the flame. Strain this mixture to another pan or vessel. Add Kesar/saffron strands and crushed Elaichi/cardamom.
- Allow this to cool for ½ hr.
- Now in a small pan, combine 50ml water and ½ tsp of Meron Spreadable Agar Agar – Wondergel 50. Stir continuously until agar agar dissolves completely. Add this to the base mixture and mix well.
- Cover this and allow it to cool for 5-6 hrs.
- Transfer it to an airtight jar and refrigerate.
- Syrup stays good for 2-3 months in the refrigerator.
Method to make Kesar Elaichi Sherbet
- Dissolve 2 tsp of Kesar Elaichi Syrup in 200 ml water. Add ice cubes and enjoy.
- You can also mix this into milk instead of water.